Friday 6 December 2013

Youth Day and Knit-Wits! (a late post, whoops!)

Last week was week 11 of my Essential gap year, and also week two of the "Stepney Knit-Wits" - oh how time flies when you're having fun! Christmas planning for the Smart Crew performance, choir performances, and Christmas on the Farm are all underway, and the chilly weather has meant that it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas here in Stepney. I love Christmas, so I couldn't be happier with the head start, although I know that this is just the calm before the storm in the church calendar!

There were so many highlights of this week, Knit-Wits included, but I have to say, the London Central Youth Day was a spectacular thing to behold. Six of our young people headed out to Denmark Hill to the training college for a day full of fun, with the optional activities of art, dance, rapping, drumming, football, and inflatables to get involved in, as well as a prayer space, a worship band and the filming of a video to enjoy. It really was fantastically co-ordinated by Sue and the gang and it really opened our young people's eyes up to their wider community in the division, to new and exciting activities, and also to other Christian young people. After we had finished, the staff from Youth Club were invited back to one of our young people's houses for sausages, soup and sensational fireworks. It was the perfect way to celebrate the end of such a beautiful day, surrounded with those we love and serve!

Benjamin Still's accidental Teddy-Bear Y-fronts from the first week!
As I mentioned, this week also marked the second session of "Stepney Knit-Wits", which is a community knitting circle. Knit-Wits is a venture that I've really felt led to start up over this past year and it has finally come into fruition, with the support of my lovely Corps Officers, Nick and Kerry. One of the brilliant things about my particular stream of Essential is that I was already a part of this community prior to starting Essential. This has meant that this year I have just been able to focus on building up relationships in the community and growing in the family I already knew. The Knit-Wits has really grown from this family feeling, and what a wonderful family it is! It has not provided a great space for members of our church and the wider community to come together and knit, but also to use the space as a means by which they can seek support from their fellow knitters. I'm really encouraged by the way that the Spirit is moving in this group; there is just something out of this world about how comfortable our living room feels every Friday
morning. I'm so incredibly blessed by each of our Knit-Wits, they bring so much joy to my week, and I look forward to seeing how we grow as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment